Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Prayer For Humility

Prayer For Humility
O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled, of being honored, of being praised,
of being preferred to others, of being consulted, of being approved,
deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised, of being rebuked, of being neglected,
of being forgotten, of being ridiculed, of being wronged, of being suspected,
of being injured, deliver me, Jesus.
That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside; that others may be praised and I unnoticed;
That others be holier than I, provided that I may become holy as I should,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

(Prayer for Humility taken from Presence, Prayers for Busy People)

"Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls." - Matthew 11:29

No comments: