Sunday, May 11, 2008

Job Hunt


The job hunt is on. Last week, my friend (an ex-callboy, i.e., ex-call center agent) and I went to two overseas job placement agencies to look for jobs abroad. I was not able to find a job suitable to my qualifications though. Tomorrow, we are going to attend an overseas job fair in Quezon City Hall which I accidentally discovered last week while we were hopping from one agency to the other. I guess from now on Mondays will be days set aside for job hunting overseas.

Sundays are also days when I usually buy a copy of the broadsheet Manila Bulletin. It has become a routine for me to look at the Classified Ads section to find out what is going on in the labor market. Scanning through the pages of job ads is exciting for me coz you'll never know what's in store for you. Besides the usual call center ads that occupy almost 50% of the ad space, there are still a number of jobs to choose from both locally and abroad.

This job hunting thing is a concerted effort on my part to leave my comfort zone and to secure a more stable future for me. Besides, I have a yearning to explore different places and be in different situations to broaden my experience and outlook in life. It's not that I do not like my job here. It's just that by doing the same work that you do here, you are better compensated on the other side of the fence - the proverbial greener pasture - and I really think that is not fair. In all honesty, I do not want to leave this country, but the harsh realities of life are too real to ignore. While I do not want to sound pessimistic about it, our living condition is not improving here - just read the news. Need I speak more?

By the way, I just want to share a one-stop website for overseas jobs. Visit WorkAbroad for more details. Happy job hunting!

No comments: