Monday, April 7, 2008

Jog Your Way to Good Health



I am so blessed to have a place to jog every morning near my place. The place is beside Manila Bay (think of Baywalk) and very spacious. There is a place for aero buffs which are mostly comprised of women of all ages and a few guys too. While it is still dark, I would wake up at the sound of the alarm around 5 a.m. I tell you this is sometimes more difficult for me than the jogging itself! There were days that I have to force myself to get up and don my jogging suit. There was even a time I kept postponing the pesky cellphone alarm only to wake up at 7 in the morning. Fine. Why punish myself in the first place? Well, for a number of reasons.

1. I want to stay healthy and fit. Jogging is the easiest and cheapest way for me to be in shape. I just need a pair of comfortable shoes and shirt (and shorts too) and off I go. Metabolism tends to slow down as we age and although I do not consider myself old at 29, I still want to be fit and healthy for all that it is worth. There are many benefits you can get from jogging. It increases your energy level, tones your muscles especially the legs, relieves stress, and it makes you sweat (definitely) and therefore helps get rid of your body toxins.

2. I want to develop self-discipline. As I have mentioned above, getting up so early in the morning is hard for me especially if I slept late the night before. The self-discipline aspect of jogging not only entails that I jog for 45 to 60 minutes, it also means I have to discipline myself to get enough sleep the night before. It is hard really. Lately, I have been missing my jogging because I do not feel like jogging at all. I know I must resume my routine again and keep going (run, run, run!).

3. I have a sedentary lifestyle. I sit in front of the computer all day long. It has even become longer now that I'm blogging. My only physical exercise is to go to the bathroom everytime nature calls or go down to eat some merienda. Studies prove that a sedentary lifestyle is a MAJOR (take note) risk factor for a host of diseases like cardiovascular problems, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, etc. Scary. I may not be feeling it right now because I am young but if I keep myself like that for a little more time, then it is going to be payback time! Noooooo! (Okay, keep calm. It's not good for your health either).

4. I want to release sexual tension. Being sober for a week without masturbating, I feel a certain kind of tension building up inside my body. I don't know what it is. It's got to be the unreleased semen having a roller coaster ride inside my testicles looking for a way out! (those rats!) I believe that by engaging in any physical activity, it helps me in some way to control the tension buildup. I don't have any solid proof but I feel it is helping me in some way, and so this should be a great reason for me all the more to stay with my jogging routine.

But before anyone of you hit the jogging lane, please take this little piece of advice from me: If you are not sure about your health, consult a doctor first. And please, on your first jogging day, don't do what I did - I jogged for an hour nonstop as if some hungry cheetah was chasing me at full speed, and I ended up being so sore I could hardly walk up or down the stairs without feeling the "ouch". As a result, I was not able to jog for the next five days or so! Remember to warm up and do light stretching a little bit.

Here is a bonus: You get a free dose of the sunshine vitamin every morning. I just love looking at each sunrise. It makes me feel warm inside and it feels so good.

More bonus: You might accidentally find a cute jogging mate (hahaha!) - just kidding. Hey, mind your own business okay? Always have a bottle of water and towel handy.

No comments: