Thursday, April 10, 2008

Life Begins at 30


I'm now 30 years old and I'm freaking out really. My mom was the first one to greet me this morning. "Happy Birthday anak!" I just smiled back. Then she added, "Malapit ka na mawala sa kalendaryo!" (Read: It's high time to start your own family now. You are not getting any younger) My sister, who was beside her, quipped, "Naku, 31 ka na kuya!" (Grrrr!)

What a way to start my day. Well, I just shrugged it off and the first thing I did today was to visit a nearby church to attend mass. Birthdays are days of thanksgiving too you know. I think this will be the first and the last time that I will be blogging about my birthday because from now on I refuse to grow old. Yes, you read it right. From now on, I will be forever 30 years old. Period. Hah! You see this is why I don't look forward to birthdays anymore - it makes me insane.

I still remember when I was a kid that birthdays are "privileged" days - meaning just for one day nobody can force me to wash the dishes or run errands outside the house to buy a bottle of toyo just because it is my birthday. It is a custom that we observe in the house. It's that one day in the year when you are exempted from all household chores and of course on top of that I have a brand new shirt, toy, and my favorite snacks. But now, since I'm earning already, I have to buy my own cake. (I just bought a Choco Marjolaine cake from Red Ribbon.) No more gifts and of course no more toys. In fairness though my mom cooked a sumptuous spaghetti for everyone in the house. I think I need to buy some ice cream too later. (sigh)

On my birthday today I just want to be thankful for a lot of things. First, I'm thankful that I'm healthy and my family is intact. I have the basic necessities of life - food, clothing, shelter, and cellphone loads (these things are becoming a little bit of a luxury these days. Not everyone has all these things especially now that times are hard). I am thankful that I have a job that lets me earn money to buy the things I want. (I earn just enough). I'm grateful of the people around me who support me in my struggles and friends I can talk and share my problems with. I thank the Lord for being there always. (though I can't feel His presence most of the time but I know He is there) The list can go on and on. See, there is something to look forward to afterall.

I believe there is much to look forward to. It's a great consolation for me to know that our dear Lord began His ministry when he was 30. He waited this long for Him to do His mission and so all the years that passed by served the purpose of molding Him and preparing Him for His great mission. I would like to think of the same way with me. I believe I also have a mission in life and it is only beginning to unfold now.

I cannot wait to reach 40 to live the life I want...because for me life begins at 30.

Carpe diem!


(P.S.: By the way I forgot to mention my birthday wish - I want a digicam (wink!)

No comments: